Compensation for Accumulated MAP (499) Credits
MAP teaching credits accumulate according to the following rubric as approved by the faculty in 2002.
MAP Report Reports from the faculty supervisor of the MAP must be submitted in order to earn compensation. These reports are due one month after grades have been submitted. Compensation will be forfeit if reports have not been received within four (4) months of completing the MAP. Multi-term MAPs require a report for each semester.
Modes of Compensation There are three typical modes of compensation for accumulated MAPs:
- course releases , which may be taken during an academic year in consultation with a department
- extension of a scholarly leave to a full-time leave with payment on a pro rata basis
- cash stipends for term faculty or in some cases for continuing faculty
- Course Release
- When a faculty member accumulates a total of a course she or he may opt to teach one fewer course in an academic year. It is important for the faculty member and department to plan carefully for this so that the curriculum of the department is not seriously affected. The faculty member and department should discuss the plan with the Dean, usually in the fall semester before the academic year of the proposed course release.
- Scholarly Leave
- A faculty member may incorporate MAP credits as a part of a scholarly leave. If a faculty member is approved for a sabbatical leave and wishes to extend that leave for a full year, the MAP teaching credit can contribute to the half of salary not provided by the leave. MAP salary compensation is based upon a three course sabbatical leave which leaves two remaining courses in an annual teaching assignment. The salary for the year-long leave will be 50% salary plus 50% * (# MAP course credits/ 2courses). For example, if a faculty member has completed 6 MAP credits (compensated as 1 course credit), a full-year leave would be compensated at 50% + 25% of the faculty member's ordinary salary. Or, if a faculty member has completed 8 MAPs (compensated as 1.33 course credits), a full-year leave would be compensated at 50% + 33 % of her or his salary. Requests for such credit toward leave pay should be submitted at the time of the leave proposal. Only credits completed by the end of the spring semester (not including the subsequent summer) preceding the leave will be included in the leave compensation.
- Cash Compensation
- In the case of a term faculty member (who cannot accrue enough MAP credits to equal a full course) we will pay the individual according to the Compensation Schedule below. In some cases where a regular, continuing faculty member cannot take a course release in compensation for a MAP, we will apply the cash compensation in lieu of course credit.
- Compensation Schedule:
- 4-credit Co-directed - $500
- 4- or 6-credits - $1000
- 8-credits - $1500 total
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow A department may apply for a Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow to help ameliorate the curricular effects of MAP compensation. The Mellon Fellow serves for two years and teaches two courses/year.
Clarification of Roles and Compensation:
Co-directorship versus 2nd reader:
When a MAP is co-directed, it is assumed that both advisors share equal responsibility in mentoring the student. In a co-directed MAP, both directors guide the development, design, execution and evaluation of the product, each submit individual reports and both faculty members split the MAP credit.
A second reader evaluates a draft of the product and gives feedback to the student and mentor. The second reader receives a $300 stipend for his/her evaluation. This compensation will be administered once the primary director states in the final MAP report that the second reader has fulfilled his/her responsibilities.